USDA Biopreferred Program
Product Category Specification Sheet
Governing Federal Regulation:
7 CFR 2902.31
(1) Lubricants composed of oils thickened to a semisolid or solid consistency using soaps, polymers or other solids, or other thickeners.
(2) Greases for which preferred procurement applies are:
(i) Food grade greases. Lubricants that are designed for use on food-processing equipment as a protective anti-rust film, as a release agent on gaskets or seals or tank enclosures, or on machine parts and equipment in locations in which there is exposure of the lubricated part to food.
(ii) Multijpurpose greases. Lubricants that are designed for general use.
(iii) Rail track greases. Lubricants that are designed for use onrailroad tracks or heavy crane tracks.
(iv) Truck greases. Lubricants that are designed for use on the fifth wheel of tractor trailer trucks onto which the semi-trailer rests and pivots.
(v) Greases not elsewhere specified. Lubricants that meet the General definition of greases but are not otherwise covered by the specific definitions above.
Minimum Qualifying Biobased Carbon Content:
- Food Grade Grease - 42%, by weight, of total organic carbon
- Multipurpose grease - 72%, by weight, of total organic carbon
- Rail Track Grease - 30%, by weight, of total organic carbon
- Truck Grease - 71%, by weight, of total organic carbon
- Greases not elsewhere specified - 75%, by weight, of total organic carbon
Federal Agency Compliance Date:
EPA Regulatory Overlap:
Exempt Product Applications:
Northwest Ohio Green Products Center
5555 Airport Highway, Ste 100, Toledo, Ohio 43615-7320
419.724.8343 877.668.3472 (toll-free)
© 1995 - 2009 EISC, Inc.